South Philly Food Co-op’s mission is to use food as a force for good - at our tables, in our community and for our planet. In order to do so, we’ve established product selection guidelines to prioritize the suppliers we work with and the products we sell.
- Economic & Social Equity - Whenever possible, we strive to source our products from businesses that utilize fair-trade, equitable employment practices and democratically-owned business models. We specifically prioritize products that are grown or produced by minority-owned businesses, including women, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ and other marginalized communities.
- Locally & Regionally Produced - Whenever possible, we strive to source our products from local and regional businesses. Our local products are grown or produced within 100 miles of the store, while our regional products are grown or produced in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Washington DC.
- Organic & Sustainable - Whenever possible, we strive to source our products from certified organic and sustainable businesses. We support businesses that focus on building soil health, water quality and biodiversity, while avoiding synthetic pesticides, herbicides and monocropping.
- Animal Welfare - Whenever possible, we strive to source our products from businesses that prioritize animal welfare. That means that we look for products that come from animals with healthy diets and plenty of space to engage in natural behaviors.
- Unfair Labor Practices - Whenever possible, we strive to avoid products from businesses that use unfair and unethical labor practices.
- Genetically Modified Organisms - Whenever possible, we strive to avoid products that are grown from or contain genetically modified ingredients.
- Artificial Additives & Preservatives: Whenever possible, we strive to avoid products that contain artificial colors, artificial flavors, unnatural preservatives, excessive additives, high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils.
- Hormones & Antibiotics - Whenever possible, we strive to avoid eggs, meat and dairy products that come from animals treated with harsh hormones and antibiotics, like rBGH or rBST.
- Carcinogens & Hormone Disruptors - Whenever possible, we strive to avoid products that contain carcinogens and hormone disruptors, including avoiding plastic bags and disposable bulk containers.
- Excess Packing - Whenever possible, we strive to avoid products that contain unnecessary packaging or are packaged in non-recycled or non-recyclable materials.
- Animal Testing - Whenever possible, we strive to avoid products that have been tested on animals.
- Tobacco & Nicotine - We will not offer any tobacco or nicotine products.
- Food Safety & Product Recall - We will pull recalled products off our shelves and communicate the recall via email, social media and in-store.