The health and safety of our Co-op community is our highest priority. As the spread of COVID-19 increases, South Philly Food Co-op is taking action to help protect our patrons and our employees.
Our General Manager and department leadership team will continue to closely monitor guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health officials in our area. The team will rely on their recommendations and expertise to inform our decisions. Based on that advice, we are:
Providing safe social distances:
- Limiting the number of shoppers allowed in the store at one time, currently 12 total customers, based on new CDC recommendations.
- Creating a queue for waiting in line and offering umbrellas to customers outside of the store when we are at capacity inside.
- Installing shopping guides and 6 foot social distance markers to ensure good flow and limited customer interactions within the 6 foot social distance recommendations. Following these guidelines is especially critical when the store is crowded,
- Installing plexiglass barriers to minimize interactions between cashiers and shoppers.
- Commissioned the build of a third mobile register to make it easier for customers to get in and out of the store and keep the lines inside the store to a minimum
- Cancelled in person meetings until further notice, all non-shopping related events with limited exception, will be held virtually until further notice.
- At risk shopping our Wednesdays from 9-10 am.
Offering alternatives to instore shopping:
- Are offering an online order service with home delivery (and curbside pick-up, coming soon). Those unable to use the online store may call at certain times to place an order.
- Are launching a shopper buddy program so that those who are high-risk can get a neighbor to pick up their groceries.
Ensuring cleanliness and proper hygiene:
- Requiring that all staff, delivery persons, and patrons over the age of 3 wear a mask in the retail areas of the store.
- Making hand sanitizer available in the entryway of the store, near the customer bathroom, and in the staff work and break areas.
- Encouraging staff and customers folks to frequently and diligently perform hand-washing as a means to prevent the spread of germs.
- Routhine, frequent, and rigorous cleaning of the store and sanitization of all high touch areas will be emphasized and enforced.
Taking care of our staff:
- All staff members have paid time off that they can use in the event that they become sick or need to take leave of absence due to COVID-19.
- We are working to establish a partnership with Vybe for staff rapid testing.
- Staff will have scheduled access to break areas to ensure safe eating be provided to staff.
- Providing a set of reusable cloth masks for staff to use while on shift as well as ample access to disposable masks when a temporary replacement is needed.
- Providing a limited hazard-pay premium from opening day through the end of this calendar year. (Contribute to our Hazard Pay Fund so that we can continue this essential benefit into 2021.)
- We hope to provide hot meals to staff on shift. (Donate local restaurant gift cards to show appreciation for our staff in this busy and difficult time. Email [email protected] to help.)
As circumstances continue to develop, we will make our decisions with the health and well-being of our member-owners, customers, employees, and community as top priority.