We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
The South Philly Food Co-op (the Co-op) is seeking its first General Manager (GM)! The Co-op is a startup food retail cooperative located in a vibrant, diverse neighborhood in Philadelphia, Pa. The GM will report to the Board of Directors and be responsible for the opening and subsequent operation of an urban grocery store.
We welcome applications from highly-motivated, energetic leaders with managerial experience in the grocery industry and a strong knowledge of and commitment to cooperative values. This full-time salaried position is anticipated to start in early 2019, approximately four months in advance of our store opening date.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Work with the Board of Directors to regularly update operational and capital budgets and plans.
- Oversee store opening including management of project consultants and hiring of staff.
- Develop, implement, and manage merchandising and marketing strategy that meets the needs of the membership and the broader community.
- Oversee all store operations including financial, member management, customer service, and human resource needs.
- Represent the Co-op in vendor relationships, contract development, and community outreach.
- Monitor member engagement and contribute to continued growth.
- Set goals and take tangible actions to make the Co-op an inclusive, active community institution for all.
- Experience in retail management, preferably at a cooperative or independently-owned organization.
- Demonstrated experience maximizing operational efficiency in a competitive marketplace.
- Experience developing and managing budgets to meet financial goals.
- Ability to develop, articulate, and implement a vision and strategy.
- Experience managing, motivating, and leading diverse staff and volunteer groups.
- Proven ability to build positive relationships in the supply chain and community.
- Commitment to and passion for cooperative values and principles, particularly an urban Co-op serving a diverse community
- Enthusiasm for our mission, vision and the opportunity to help launch a Co-op!
- Tech literacy, including a working knowledge of POS systems, Microsoft Office, Google Drive, and QuickBooks.
- Willingness and ability to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Experience in the natural foods sector.
- Retail experience in an urban setting.
- Experience opening or expanding a retail store or significant department within a retail store.
- Real world strategic/business planning and marketing experience.
- Experience working on or with a Board of Directors.
- Knowledge of policy governance model.
How to Apply
Please complete our online application form and upload your cover letter and resume (combined into one file) here: https://goo.gl/forms/wc4vQwUykHDnNXTl2. Application deadline: January 4, 2019. Position open until filled. Salary range is $60-75k plus benefits, commensurate with experience.
We encourage applicants to explore our website and Facebook page to learn about our co-op and community prior to submitting an application: www.southphillyfoodcoop.org. Interested candidates are welcome to request a copy of our business plan by contacting [email protected].
The South Philly Food Co-op provides equal employment opportunities to all, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.