Dear South Philly Food Co-op Community,
Thank you all for welcoming me aboard as the General Manager of South Philly Food Co-op! Over the coming months, my goal is to keep you informed of our progress toward opening and invite your thoughts, feedback, and participation along the way. As a community-owned cooperative, community engagement is central to our business.
This is an exciting time because we are transforming our space from a shell into a real grocery store as we enter the tenant improvement phase of construction! This moment is the culmination of an incredible investment of thought, time, and effort on the part of our boards—past and present—our volunteers and our South Philly community.
- I have reviewed and provided feedback on project plans with our project management team (including hvac, electrical, plumbing, lighting, equipment, etc.)
- I have been ServSafe certified for food safety so that we can apply for our health license.
- I am working with our committees: Finance, Facilities, Marketing, Outreach, Food Justice & Equity.
- Point of Sale (register system) proposals are in!
- The board adopted over a dozen policies that will guide me in the role of the general manager, our store operations, and establish a mechanism for appropriate oversight.
- Our website is now hosted on a .COOP domain which will help us differentiate ourselves in the market.
What’s Happening / Coming Up Next:
- Our landlord will complete remaining “punch list” items, after which we can bring in equipment
- Loan signing and closing
- Construction contractor final project review and contract signing
- Equipment procurement (i.e. refrigeration, shelves, sinks, point of sale system)
- Register counter proposals and design
- Health license plan review and inspection
- Exterior signage design and permitting
- Product selection guidelines development
- Lots of committee and volunteer work!
I’m really looking forward to all the good work ahead of us and watching y/our store take shape!